Chia seeds are a proven superfood! It has a massive amount of nutrients and has to be included into your daily intake. I will explain some of the benefits of those seeds and at the end will include a smoothie I made every morning for myself.
1 serving (28 grams) of chia seeds contains:
- Fiber: 11 grams.
- Protein: 4 grams.
- Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
- Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
- Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
- Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.
- Phosphorus: 27% of the RDA.
- They also contain a decent amount of Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
Chia seeds are also full of antioxidants. Antioxidants prevent or delay cell damage, because they fight the production of free radicals. Free radicals contribute to a number of diseases or cell deterioration, like ageing or cancer.
The seeds are full of fiber and quality protein. Protein in plants and seeds is better than in meat. These two, fiber and protein, can reduce cravings and appetite. So, chia seeds can help you with your weight loss as well.
Other proven health benefits are:
- they lower heart disease and type 2 diabetes,
- they are essential for bone health,
- they improve your sports performance more than a sports drink.
No other food has so many benefits and have such a high content in a small amount as Chia seeds. The Mayans and Aztec already ate these seeds and knew the advantages. Chia is in fact an ancient Mayan word that means “strength”.
Here is a recipe for a super smoothie:
- 28 grams Chia seeds
- 15 grams oatmeal
- 1 banana
- 1/2 mango
- 1 spoon of honey
- 20 cl soy milk
- a handful of raisins
Mix everything in a blender. You can add more soy milk or less if you want it more liquid or thicker. Experiment with other fruits to see you what you like best. Eat this every day for breakfast and you have a good start of the day. You will notice that you are less hungry and will crave less during the day.